Transracial adoption is a complicated problem with no simple solution. I’m not a parent of transracial adoption, nor am I a transracial adoptee myself, but I am learning alongside all of you how to be more kind to all those who are or have been involved in it. There is a cultural narrative surrounding transracial adoptions that is ill-conceived and often downright harmful. We need professional help and advice in learning how to navigate this issue.
I brought on Cam Lee to begin a conversation on this topic for all of us. He is a licensed clinical counselor who is himself a transracial adoptee. He specializes in adoption-informed mental health services. In this episode, we discuss the truth about transracial adoption and the mental health problems that come with it.
- Cam’s own adoption story and how that led him to become a licensed clinician.
- The most common mistakes people make when they tell stories of transracial adoptions.
- How to dismantle the harm of the system.
- How parents who recognize the harmfulness of the adoption system can navigate that conversation with their children.
- How Cam works with his clients to heal their racial trauma.
- What to do when your children are struggling but aren’t interested in therapy.
- How to deal with your adopted child’s body image issues.
Links (affiliates included):
The Girls Who Went Away – https://amzn.to/3h5l98h
Adoptee mental health and suicide:
2-Night Workshop Sep 2020
Suggested Resources (camps, colleagues, adoptee voices, book recs, etc.)
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn