Episode 65: Parenting After Religious Trauma Series Part 3 w/ Brian Peck & Tori Williams Douglass
March 9, 2020
In Part 3 of the series, Parenting After Religious Trauma, we debate the use of the term spirituality and discuss why language matters. We also continue our conversation on how we can engage with healthy parenting practices as parents with religious trauma.
My co-host, Brian Peck, is co-founder of Religious Trauma Institute and is a licensed clinical social worker specializing in religious trauma. He brings his expertise to this series as we expound on our reflections as survivors of spiritual trauma. Tori Williams Douglass also returns, she first joined us in Part 2 of the series. Tori is a parent and fellow survivor of religious trauma.
- We continue our conversation on how to respond to our children’s spiritual curiosity, given our spiritual trauma.
- Empowering children that you can believe whatever you want, as long as you are treating other people with respect and dignity.
- We debate and discuss the term spirituality and how it can be triggering.
- We recognize the importance of making space for people to define spirituality the way they wish to describe it.
- How to respond when you see your child has a transcendent experience.
- Be willing to let your children walk their journey. Our role is to listen, support, accept, and believe what they are going through as their own experience.
- Responding to children’s spiritual or religious rituals.
- The challenge for parents who have religious trauma is to navigate the minefield of triggers.
- Tori shares some background about her work, creating anti-racist education.
Links (affiliates included):
White Homework – https://www.patreon.com/toriglass
Parenting After Religious Trauma Mini-Course Registration – https://workshop.www.religioustraumainstitute.com/parenting_after_religious_trauma
Religious Trauma Institute – https://www.religioustraumainstitute.com
Religious Trauma Institute Facebook Page –https://www.facebook.com/religioustraumainstitute/
Religious Trauma Institute Instagram –https://www.instagram.com/religioustraumainstitute/
Parenting Forward Conference – https://www.parentingforwardconference.com
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team –https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/2GB6eDB