Episode 145: Is it Religious Trauma or Childhood Trauma? w/ Corey Wayne
May 9, 2022
The Parenting is Revolutionary Conference is over! It was an incredible time connecting with other parents and parenting influencers in the online space. I myself learned so much and, though I’m exhausted, I feel so fulfilled by the experience.
Throughout many of the sessions of the conference, childhood trauma was discussed. A question popped up over and over in my mind: if our parents had had the resources we have today and access to information on mental health and validating emotions, would we have all had better childhoods?
I brought my partner in crime Corey Wayne onto the show this week to discuss this. Corey helps me build and maintain the Parenting Forward Conferences and I truly could not do the work that I do without him. Tune in to hear us analyze our own childhoods and more on religious trauma vs. childhood trauma.
- How parenting styles are a generational thing.
- Some background on Corey’s childhood.
- How he discovered his wounds were mainly childhood trauma, not religious trauma.
- How Corey has mended his relationship with some of his family members.
- How ending generational trauma is like a wave.
- How the concept of “breaking toxic cycles” has become combative rather than a means of building community.
- Why self-compassion is such an important part of healing your inner child.
- How to balance grief about your past and gratitude that it made you who you are.
- Some resources Corey loves.
Links (affiliates included):
Parenting is Revolutionary Conference Recordings: https://www.parentingforwardconference.com/2022-sessions
Parenting After Religious Trauma Membership – https://cindy-brandt.mykajabi.com/partmembership
Help keep the podcast going by joining the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn
You Are Revolutionary – https://www.beamingbooks.com/store/product/9781506478302/You-Are-Revolutionary