Episode 134: Self Help for the Parent w/ Glenn Doyle
November 15, 2021
The best parenting is not done in the direction of our children. It’s actually done in the direction of our own selves. This is why I think it is so important to talk about mental health and inner work here on the podcast.
It’s also why I’m so passionate about helping parents with their religious trauma. As many of you know, religious trauma is my special flavor of trauma. It’s the thing that would keep me from truly thriving in my life if I weren’t dedicated to healing. This drives my zeal to heal and help all of you heal as well.
On top of this, so much of what our kids learn from us doesn’t come from the active lessons and conscious talks we try to provide. Rather, they pick up on what we do in our mundane moments of life. They’re watching the way we act in our relationships, attitudes, and healing.
Dr. Glenn Doyle is a trained psychologist who has taught me so much about these kinds of things. He teaches about mental health over on Instagram and I have truly learned so much from him. I wanted to bring him onto the show today to discuss these topics and help us learn how to heal from religious trauma as parents.
- How Glenn got into providing self-help on social media.
- How marketing and personal development content can trigger religious trauma.
- Why distraction can be a good thing.
- The distinction between religious trauma and general trauma.
- Why it’s better to be religious trauma proof than nonreligious.
- How to manage triggers that escalate conflict.
- Why Glenn is so focused on improving his clients’ quality of life.
- Why it’s so harmful to be mean to yourself.
- How people can experience the same thing in different ways.
- Why it’s important to retell our stories and find meaning in them.
- How trauma messes with our memories.
Links (affiliates included):
Parenting After Religious Trauma Membership – https://cindy-brandt.mykajabi.com/partmembership
Help keep the podcast going by joining the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn
You Are Revolutionary – https://www.beamingbooks.com/store/product/9781506478302/You-Are-Revolutionary