All throughout the month of January, we’re going to be revisiting the topic of purity culture in preparation for our upcoming Parenting After Purity Culture conference. We’ll talk about what purity culture is and how it relates to parenting.
We’re also going to bring back some archived episodes on the topic, as well as new interviews with experts whose work centers around the recovery from purity culture and sex-positive parenting. My hope and purpose, as always, is to help you break toxic cycles and move toward health and wholeness for your kids and all kids of the coming generations.
In today’s episode, we’re revisiting an episode with Linda Kay Klein. She is the author of the book Pure: Inside The Evangelical Movement that Shamed a Generation of Young Women and How I Broke Free. Linda is also going to be a featured speaker at the conference, so I can’t wait for you all to hear from her. Tune in to hear all about the damaging effects of purity culture and Linda’s personal experience with it.
- Linda’s working definition of purity culture.
- How purity culture affected every area of her life.
- Why offering our children as many choices as possible is so important.
- How evangelicalism twisted young women’s identity to be all about sex.
- How to set our children up for healthier sexuality by offering actual sex conversations, not just purity conversations.
- How to talk about sex without shame.
- How purity culture has set young women up to be more vulnerable to sexual predators.
- How the message of purity culture was delivered differently and equally to boys and girls.
- Advice for those climbing out of the purity culture world but still partially in that space.
Links (affiliates included):
Parenting After Purity Culture Conference – https://www.parentingforwardconference.com
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn