Episode 64: Parenting After Religious Trauma Series Part 2 w/ Brian Peck & Tori Williams Douglass
March 2, 2020
Today as we continue the series Parenting After Religious Trauma, we discuss some of the common parenting struggles we may have after religious trauma. The focus for this entire series is to address the health and well-being of people who suffer from religious trauma, how to heal, and find wholeness. This series teaches parents to be healthier, break toxic cycles of religiosity, and pass on health and wholeness to their kids. It’s a win-win for parents, children, and the world.
Brian Peck, co-founder of Religious Trauma Institute returns as my co-host. Joining us as our special guest is Tori Williams Douglass, an anti-racist educator, writer, and content creator. Tori was raised as an evangelical, left evangelicalism, and is the mother of two children. Together we talk about her experiences parenting after religious trauma, the common responses to adverse religious experience, and how to can engage with healthy parenting practices.
- Tori’s experiences and upbringing in an evangelical household.
- Fear, shame, and powerlessness are common responses to an adverse religious experience.
- Ways shame shows up in parenting everyday scenarios.
- The ideal situation for parents is to be authentically themselves so their kids can be authentically themselves too.
- Tips for navigating intergenerational relationships when you’re trying to be the religious cycle breaker.
- Loss of Community and Relationships after Religious Trauma: How to find your way through the loneliness.
- Ways to respond to children’s spiritual curiosity with questions or exploring spiritual practices, given your own spiritual trauma.
Links (affiliates included):
White Homework – https://www.patreon.com/toriglass
Parenting After Religious Trauma Mini-Course Registration – https://workshop.www.religioustraumainstitute.com/parenting_after_religious_trauma
Religious Trauma Institute – https://www.religioustraumainstitute.com
Religious Trauma Institute Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/religioustraumainstitute/
Religious Trauma Institute Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/religioustraumainstitute/
Parenting Forward Conference – https://www.parentingforwardconference.com
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/2GB6eDB