How do you know if you’re a parent who suffers from religious trauma? If your goal is to raise children with healthy spirituality then, first, you have to acknowledge and address your own spiritual wounds and religious trauma. It is one of the biggest challenges to cultivating healthy spirituality for our children.
This is why I am excited to be launching a brand-new series. The series, Parenting After Religious Trauma, works to provide listeners with information, tools, and resources to unpack and work through religious trauma. I will be collaborating with the Religious Trauma Institute which provides a space for mental health clinicians, advocates, researchers and survivors to expand the conversation about adverse religious experience. Brian Peck, co-founder of Religious Trauma Institute and licensed clinical social worker, will be my co-host for this special series.
Today with the help of Laura Anderson, licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and a Ph.D. candidate and co-founder of Religious Trauma Institute, we define religious trauma, discuss the symptoms, talk about adverse religious experiences, and more.
- Religious trauma: How do you know you have it? What are the symptoms?
- Trauma is very perceptive. It doesn’t have to be that something real is happening. It’s the perception that something is dangerous or unsafe.
- Why it’s so important to think about trauma through the lens of the nervous system.
- You have religious trauma if you suffer or if you struggle with responses to something that’s happened to you.
- We talk about adverse religious experiences and how they span a whole spectrum of different experiences.
- Religious Trauma Institute’s goal is to help others understand how to be safe inside of religion as well as to help religious organizations recognize from a harm reduction perspective, how their various beliefs, practices, and structures are harmful.
- We discuss how to know when your nervous system is responding to religious trauma.
- Some practices to help you get to a place where you feel powerful again.
Links (affiliates included):
Parenting After Religious Trauma Mini Course Registration – https://workshop.www.religioustraumainstitute.com/parenting_after_religious_trauma
Religious Trauma Institute – https://www.religioustraumainstitute.com
ReligiousTrama Institute Workshop – www.workshop.religioustramainstitute.com
Religious Trauma Institute Facebook Page –https://www.facebook.com/religioustraumainstitute/
Religious Trauma Institute Instagram –https://www.instagram.com/religioustraumainstitute/
Parenting Forward Conference – https://www.parentingforwardconference.com
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team –https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/2GB6eDB