Parenting and progressive faith are not monolithic in any way. There are many different paths of parenting and I am fascinated by the many ways people do it. Author Lyz Lenz and podcast host Amy Sullivan join me to share their views on changing the myth of motherhood, parenting, and progressive faith. Lyz is the author of Belabored: A Vindication of the Rights of Pregnant Women. Amy is an author and co-hosts Impolite Company, a podcast about politics and religion. Both Lyz and Amy share how they parent and what role faith plays in their parenting.
Together we talk about how every topic with our children is one surrounded by faith, what it means to be a mother in America today, and the importance of recognizing we are women outside of being mothers, and we must honor this part of us too. It was such an honor to have both Lyz and Amy as my guests. I hope you enjoy our conversation!
- The larger conversation is not just about parenting but about how we pass faith onto our children plus some ways Lyz and Amy incorporate faith into their parenting.
- Amy’s experience parenting a child as part of an interfaith family and what that looks like for her.
- Some trends of how people are changing the way they parent and faith.
- How the concept of children being moral beings is a new phenomenon.
- Recognizing we are our own beings who have our own lives and some ways in which you can work to strike a balance between motherhood and being your own person.
- How Lyz’s book Belabored works to decipher between the mythologies of motherhood and what it means to be a mother in America today.
Links (affiliates included):
Lyz Lenz – https://lyzlenz.com
Lyz’s book, Belabored: A Vindication of the Rights of Pregnant Women – https://amzn.to/2O5TJ5T
Empty the Pews: Stories of Leaving the Church – https://amzn.to/313NBQW
The Brand New Parenting Forward Conference – https://www.parentingforwardconference.com
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/2GB6eDB