Episode 60: Talking Money with Your Kids
February 3, 2020
Mark and Lisa Scandrette are the authors of the two books, Free: Spending Your Time and Money on What Matters Most and Belonging and Becoming: Creating a Thriving Family Culture. Through their work and writing, they help parents intentionally approach family life from a place of soulfulness and gratitude.
Today we discuss how to talk about money with your kids. I’ve long wanted to do a show on parenting and money. I am so grateful to Mark and Lisa Scandrette for sharing not only their own family story but tons of rich wisdom on the subject from the workshops they do around the world to help families live more purposeful lives.
- How to address issues of shame and money in parenting.
- How to be mindful of money and how this manifests in one’s values.
- Responding to your children if or when they begin to compare one family’s finances with another’s.
- Redefining the rich vs. poor conversation with our kids.
- A gratitude practice to help you cultivate a mentality of gratitude and abundance.
- Prosperity gospel and asking the question, “How is your financial life spiritual?”
- Talking about money is vulnerable and why this is okay.
- What to do when your children become aware of homelessness and how to respond.
Links (affiliates included):
Mark Scandrette: https://www.markscandrette.com
Free: Spending your time and money on what matters most –https://amzn.to/2RXOoym
Belonging and Becoming: Creating a thriving family culture –https://amzn.to/2U3xelY
The Spirit Level: Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger –https://amzn.to/3aK2jkh
The Brand New Parenting Forward Conference –https://www.parentingforwardconference.com
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team –https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/2GB6eDB