Episode 147: The Evangelical College Experience w/ Scott Okamoto
June 6, 2022
We’re going to take a critical look at evangelical colleges and universities and analyze the experience they provide our kids. Having attended the evangelical college Wheaton, I have firsthand experience to bring to the table that we’ll discuss throughout today’s show.
Joining me is the host of the Chapel Probation podcast, Scott Okamoto. He grew up in a conservative Christian family but began deconstructing when he went away to college. Eventually, he became a professor at an evangelical university and started to clarify his progressive Christian beliefs. This led to him stepping away and becoming a stay-at-home dad.
Tune in to hear my conversation with Scott on the evangelical college experience from each of our unique perspectives.
- Scott’s background with evangelicalism.
- Why he stepped down from his job at APU and became a stay-at-home dad.
- What inspired him to start his podcast.
- Where I was at in my faith while attending Wheaton.
- The paradox of the evangelical college experience.
- The challenges deconstruction brings to parenting.
- Why we must love our kids well and then trust them to make the right decisions.
- Advice for parents thinking about sending their kids to an evangelical college.
- Advice for students attending an evangelical college right now.
Links (affiliates included):
Scott Okamoto Website: https://www.rscottokamoto.com
Parenting After Religious Trauma Membership – https://cindy-brandt.mykajabi.com/partmembership
Help keep the podcast going by joining the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn1Little
You Are Revolutionary – https://www.beamingbooks.com/store/product/9781506478302/You-Are-Revolutionary
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Emerald City Productions. They helped me grow and produce the podcast you are listening to right now. Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com Let them know we sent you.