Episode 125: Giving Kids an Inner Compass w/ Jon Ogden
July 12, 2021
A few weeks ago I sent out a newsletter called “Disorganized Religion.” It was a product of my reflection on the idea that many who have decided to leave the church still crave a dedicated time and space to explore the bigger questions of life and existence and to validate their children’s innate spiritual questions. They’re happy with their decision to leave the church but miss the neatly packaged aspect of it: church on Sunday, a mid-week Bible study, and Sunday School and youth group for the kids.
In response, one reader suggested a resource called Uplift. I was so intrigued by it that I decided to invite the founder onto the show. Jon Ogden is not only the founder of Uplift but the author of When Mormons Doubt.
After he wrote his book, he still had many other questions around what the ideas within the book would look like week to week and how to raise kids with a spiritual foundation that wasn’t tied to any dogma or specific religion.
This led Jon to create Uplift. Today he is joining us to tell us more about this resource and his journey toward shifting his faith.
- Jon’s experience leaving the Mormon church.
- Why everyone is spiritual.
- What wisdom literature from all religions can teach us.
- The danger of dictating our kids’ spiritual journeys.
- What healthy spirituality looks like to Jon.
- Why spirituality should be democratic, not dogmatic.
- The services and curriculum Uplift offers.
- Why it’s important to pay attention to our development stages even in adulthood.
- How to honor both our kids’ and our developmental stages.
- The power of sharing our family stories.
- The healthy balance of order and chaos.
Links (affiliates included):
Disorganized Religion Email – https://mailchi.mp/8429ea9a0ac2/disorganized-religion
Uplift – https://upliftkids.org
Parenting After Deconstruction – https://www.parentingforwardconference.com/parenting-after-deconstruction
Parenting Forward Conference – https://www.parentingforwardconference.com
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn1
PREORDER You Are Revolutionary – https://www.beamingbooks.com/store/product/9781506478302/You-Are-Revolutionary