I imagine many of my listeners are regulars at pride parades. If that’s you, you’ve probably seen the moms who offer free hugs to LGBTQ kids who may not have a supportive or loving family. There is something so simple and yet so profound about that act of kindness. It communicates a love that is basic to human dignity but often denied to LGBTQ kids.
The idea behind those free hugs comes from today’s guest, Sara Cunningham. She is the founder of the nonprofit, Free Mom Hugs. Sara comes from a faith tradition, so when her own son came out as gay, she really struggled. In this episode, we’re discussing her journey from that point to her current place of acceptance and affirmation of her son.
- The experiences Sara went through when her son came out.
- How she has rebuilt trust with her son.
- What drove her to change her perspective on the LGBTQ+ community.
- How our culture and legal system have progressed over the years.
- What Sara’s mission with Free Mom Hugs is.
- What it is like for Sara to work with secular gay rights groups as a woman of faith.
- Why love and education are the keys to a better understanding of the LGBTQ+ community.
- The best parenting practices of affirmation and love.
Links (affiliates included):
Free Mom Hugs – https://freemomhugs.org
Parenting Forward Conference Sessions – https://www.parentingforwardconference.com/2020-sessions
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn
How We Sleep At Night: A Mother’s Memoir by Sara Cunningham: https://www.amazon.com/How-We-Sleep-At-Night/dp/1499725388
QCF – Queer Christian Fellowship: www.qchristian.org
TRP – The Reformation Project: www.reformation.org
Geeky Justin – on faith, culture, and nuance: www.geekyjustin.com
Canyonwalker Connections: www.canyonwalkerconnections.com
Serendipitydodah – Home of the Real Mama Bears: www.realmamabears.org