Episode 115: To Raise a Conscious Citizen w/ Lauren Duca
February 22, 2021
Children in America have been largely boxed out from politics. They have missed out on that sense of political agency that our culture affords to adults. It’s not that they don’t care; they aren’t in a state of apathy but are experiencing disconnect.
How can we empower our kids to shift from a passive acceptance of politics to active navigation of it?
Lauren Duca is an award-winning journalist who speaks out on this very topic. She used to work at Teen Vogue and is the author of the book How to Start a Revolution: Young People and the Future of American Politics. Lauren has become a voice for young people–young women in particular. She spoke at my conference last year on the political awakening she had when Trump was elected in 2016. She also taught how we can raise conscious citizens who have political agency. It was an amazing talk that everyone at the conference loved, so I am sharing it with all of you today.
- What a political awakening is.
- The research Lauren did to uncover the political convictions of American youth.
- Why a sense of agency is more important than knowledge.
- How to create a sense of agency for our kids.
- How to go on a media diet.
- Becoming an expert on one topic that interests you.
- The foundation of forming a political opinion.
- Different ways to raise your voice.
- How to navigate conversations with those who disagree with you.
- How to make democracy a daily habit in your life.
Links (affiliates included):
Parenting Forward Conference Sessions – https://www.parentingforwardconference.com/2020-sessions
How to Start a Revolution, by Lauren Duca – https://www.amazon.com/How-Start-Revolution-American-Politics-ebook/dp/B07QYP6KVY/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn