Those of you who listen to this podcast are people who are very active and engaged in the political process. I tend to be a political junkie myself. However, the 2016 election devastated me and I wasn’t interested in dragging my mental health through that ordeal again. So I haven’t been as engaged this time around.
That being said, I’m still a firm believer in being engaged in responsible citizenship and I know that journey begins at home. That sense of empowerment for the political process has to start when our kids are young. That is why I brought special guest John Shallman onto the podcast.
John is a political campaign strategist. He is also the author of the debut novel, Return From Siberia, a story about politics and family. I was so honored to have John join me for this conversation. Tune in to hear incredible advice from someone with many years of experience in politics and campaigning.
- How John’s career as a campaign strategist intersects with his novel.
- His experience growing up in a tight-knit political community.
- How he ended up becoming a consultant.
- How to enfranchise children for the political process while also telling them they can’t vote.
- Practical tips for how parents and schools can engage children in the political process.
- How to explain to kids that not everyone thinks the same way.
- How to encourage healthy debate when the national discourse sets a bad example.
- How to help our kids consume media and discern fake news.
- The balance in raising skeptics who still have a sense of wonder about the world.
- How to engage kids in politics in a way that fits their personality.
Links (affiliates included):
Return from Siberia – https://amzn.to/2HhDFNJ
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn