Episode 123: Freeing Jesus w/ Diana Butler Bass
June 14, 2021
We’ve all read those Christian books that are full of flowery statements. The writing is beautiful but it has no substance to it. On top of that, it’s pretty stuffy too. It can seem very academic, old, and quite frankly boring.
Diana Butler Bass, however, is a Christian author whose writing falls right into the sweet spot of not fluffy and not stuffy. I aim for that same sweet spot so she has always been a writing inspiration for me.
Diana is here today to talk about her newest book Freeing Jesus: Rediscovering Jesus as Friend, Teacher, Savior, Lord, Way, and Presence. I love that subtitle because it describes exactly what the book is all about. Even more than Diana’s other books, I found Freeing Jesus to be deeply personal and relevant to Parenting Forward.
In the book and in today’s episode we discuss how the theological insights of Diana’s childhood reshaped her life and how important that is. Join us to hear more.
- How to respond when your kids ask hard theological questions.
- Diana’s experience with church growing up.
- Why Jesus was so open and accepting of children.
- What the Pelagianism view of original sin is.
- How the story of creation and Adam and Eve may display that view.
- How to help our kids make better choices through love.
- The various definitions of salvation Diana mentions in her book.
- Why she views being saved as coming home.
- How writing her book led her to self-forgiveness.
Links (affiliates included):
Freeing Jesus by Diana Butler Bass – https://dianabutlerbass.com/books/freeing-jesus/
Parenting Forward Conference Sessions – https://www.parentingforwardconference.com/2020-sessions
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team – https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book – https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn1
PREORDER You Are Revolutionary – https://www.beamingbooks.com/store/product/9781506478302/You-Are-Revolutionary